As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Breasts are classified according to their sizes and shapes. While many women will know their breast size, only a few pay attention to the shape. Therefore, this article revolves around asymmetrical breasts, how they look, and what bras work for them. We will also discuss the general misconceptions about them to alleviate your concerns.
- What Are Asymmetrical Breasts?
- Best Clothing for Asymmetrical Breasts
- Bras for Asymmetrical Breasts
- Tips for Asymmetrical Breasts
What Are Asymmetrical Breasts?
Asymmetrical breasts refer to breasts that are different in size, volume, form, or position from one another. The changes can occur due to puberty, hormonal changes, breastfeeding, or trauma. Despite popular beliefs, breast asymmetry is quite common, affecting more than half of all women, and the difference is usually less than one cup size.
However, if your boobs start to appear drastically different from each other and you have one of the following symptoms, you should consult a doctor:
- Swelling in one of your breasts
- Nipple discharge or abnormal changes to the nipple
- Pain in your chest area
- Itchy, red, firm, or dimpled skin around the breasts
- Breast tissues near the armpit feel thick
Cultural Perceptions of Asymmetrical Breasts
Breasts are considered an integral part of femininity, and breast symmetry is regarded as the epitome of a beautiful form. Hence, many young women can feel self-conscious about uneven boobs. The good news is that uneven breasts are very common and usually hardly noticeable under the layers of clothes.
However, in rare cases, asymmetric breasts can be a preliminary symptom of breast cancer, especially if the changes in the breasts tissues occur rapidly or cause pain or discomfort. In that case, it is advised to consult a medical provider who can perform a series of tests to rule out any life-threatening ailment.
Best Clothing for Asymmetrical Breasts
Uneven breasts are rarely obvious under layers of clothes, especially during the colder months. It can pose a challenge to camouflage them during the summers when all you want to do is flaunt your body. However, it is not impossible.
Below are a few styling tips you can adopt if you have dissimilar boobs.
Bold, Printed Dress
If you like wearing dresses, opt for bold prints. Printed dresses with dense patterns work well to disguise the unevenness of the bust. The trick is to go for a dress with a random print, regardless of the size of the pattern.
On the other hand, avoid stripes like the plague. In fact, it is best to steer clear of all symmetric or geometric patterns, as they can highlight your bust in a non-flattering way. Thus, stick to asymmetric patterns.
Ruching looks very attractive on most tops, elevating the overall chicness of the garment. Hence, if you like to wear solid colors instead of bold prints, opt for blouses with ruches over the bust area. When placed cleverly, the gathered pleats can conceal everything from a belly pouch to asymmetric breasts.
Scarves are another great option to hide breast asymmetry. You can experiment with prints, colors, and textures to see what works with your outfit and what suits you. Alternatively, you can replace the scarf with an elegant shawl for your evening wear.
The versatility of the humble scarf allows it to be useful the entire year. Bright, colorful, and lightweight scarves are great for summers, and dense, knitted stoles work well in winters.
The basic rule of thumb for dressing up an asymmetric bust is to stay away from anything with symmetry and opt for asymmetry. Hence, look for tops with asymmetrical necklines that align with the unevenness of your bust. One-shoulder dresses are another excellent option that can solve your conundrum and look trendy at the same time.
Bras for Asymmetrical Breasts
Wearing the correct bra size can solve most of your bust issues. From support to shape to size, bras are the ultimate savior for so many women around the globe. Therefore, it is not surprising that your breast asymmetry can be resolved, albeit temporarily, with the ideal bra.
Following are the best bras for women with uneven boobs.
Molded Cup Bra
The simplest and easiest solution to conceal breast asymmetry is to wear a molded cup bra. These bras have stiff cups that contain your breast tissues instead of conforming to the shape of your busts. As a result, the boobs appear identical under clothing.
When shopping for molded cup bras, make sure that you get the size that fits the larger breast. Moreover, look for quality bras that will hold their shape even after multiple washes, since a deformed bra will lose its core purpose.
Best Molded Cup Bra: Bali All Around Smoothing Underwire Bra
Bali All Around Smoothing Underwire Bra has all the features required for asymmetrical boobs. It has full-coverage cups that present a smooth, symmetric outlook. It also has a high apex, wide side slings, and supportive underwires.
All these incredible features contain all your uneven lumps and bumps for a smoother silhouette. It also has adjustable straps with a U-design at the back that ensures that the straps stay in place.
- Wide size range for different bodies
- Soft, supportive cups for longwear
- It is machine washable for convenient washing
- The size runs too small, which makes it difficult to order without trying
- Some customers complained of underwire ripping through the covering
- Solve your side and back bulges and be assured of no show through!
- Built-up Comfort-U design for a smooth back and stay-in-place straps
- Silky smooth, seamless cups and back for a sleek look
A padded bra is a great alternative for women with dissimilar and small breasts. Look for bras with removable padding. This allows you to take out the padding from the bra cup over the larger boob while the other cup continues to lift the smaller one creating a uniform outlook.
Best Padded Bra: Olga Easy Does It No Bulge Bra
Olga Easy Does It No Bulge Bra is made from a comfortable, stretch fabric that accommodates your asymmetric boobs incredibly well. The full-coverage nature of the bra ensures that the difference in the breasts is not noticeable, while the slight padding offers ample coverage.
The extra side panels of the bra smooth the underarm bulge, so you can easily wear a tank top or a t-shirt without worrying about showing side boobs. The traditional hook and eye closure snap the bra right into place to keep your bust well-contained.
- Wide range of sizes to fit different body shapes
- Made from comfortable, stretch material for everyday wear
- Hand wash only, which can be tedious at times
- Despite its wide size range, it is not suitable for larger busts which can feel too constrained
- Easy size makes it a snap to find the right fit
- Extra side coverage panels smooth out sleevage (our word for underarm bulge!)
High Apex Bra
When you wear a regular bra to support your asymmetric boobs, you may notice a gap between your smaller breast and bra cup. To fix this issue, you can also wear a high apex bra. These bras rise up a little higher than normal bras and the cups appear more triangular.
Best High Apex Bra: Desire All Over Lace Wirefree Bra
Desire All Over Lace Wirefree Bra is a functional and sexy bra with lightly padded cups and elegant lace detailing. The molded cups are soft yet keep your breast asymmetry under wraps. They also have a high apex, where the cup edges meet the straps above your armpits.
The bra has adjustable and convertible straps for a snug fit. You can also position the straps in the traditional style or a criss-cross pattern at the back. The best part about the bra is that it offers the comfort of a bralette and the features of a full-coverage bra.
- Beautiful lace design
- Molded, comfortable cups to support the asymmetric bust
- Convertible and adjustable straps for versatile looks
- Hand wash only, which can be tedious
- Size runs small, so its best to go a size up
- WIRELESS SHAPE AND SUPPORT - Wirefree cups are lightly lined to shape and support.
- LACE EVERYWHERE - Lovely open lace covers the entire bra, even extending above and below the cups.
- THE COMFORT OF A BRALETTE IN A FULL-COVERAGE BRA - A clever combination of the support you need and...
Tips for Asymmetrical Breasts
Apart from shopping for bras we discussed above, the following tips can further help you choose the perfect bra:
- When buying a bra, go for one that fits your larger breast. A bigger cup is always better than squeezing yourself into a smaller cup.
- After putting on the bra, adjust the straps according to each breast size to achieve optimal support for each boob.
- Avoid bras made of soft or sheer fabric that mold to the shape of your bust. Instead, opt for structured bras constructed from supportive material.
Asymmetrical breasts refer to breasts that are not identical to each other, where the difference can be minute or prominent. Proper styling and bras can easily disguise the unevenness and make you feel confident. However, if you notice a sudden change in size in one of the boobs, you should consult a doctor immediately.