If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
We understand that chafing is painful and very uncomfortable. Staying dry and wearing friction-free clothing can prevent this thing from happening — especially in the underwear area. We’re here to help you find the best underwear to prevent chafing.
- Our Top Anti-Chafing Underwear Reviews
- Best Overall Underwear to Prevent Chafing: Jockey Ladies Slip Short
- Best Anti Chafing Underwear for the Money: Under Armour Thong Underwear
- Best Cheap Underwear to Prevent Chafing: Reebok Seamless Hipster Panties
- Best Plus-Size Underwear to Prevent Chafing: Caramel Cantina Short Panties
- Best Breathable Underwear to Prevent Chafing: Fruit of the Loom Underwear
- Features to Consider for Underwear to Prevent Chafing
- Expert Tips: Preventing Chafing
- Frequently Asked questions
Our Top Anti-Chafing Underwear Reviews
The best way to prevent chafing is to wear friction-free panties that can prevent skin from rubbing and can wick away any moisture caused by sweating. If you’re looking for the best underwear that can do both, the Jockey Ladies Slip Short tops our list.
Best Overall Underwear to Prevent Chafing: Jockey Ladies Slip Short
The Jockey Ladies Slip Short comes with 85 percent nylon, 12 percent spandex, and three percent cotton, a combination designed specifically to prevent chafing — especially in the thigh areas. One cause of chafing is friction and moisture. Nylon and spandex do a great job in keeping you dry because these materials wick away sweat and are very easy to dry.
This chafe-free undergarment offers breathable properties. It features a microfiber stretch similar to the Fruit of the Loom Underwear that allows air to circulate freely. You can wear this during summer as it doesn’t cling to your skin. It doesn’t even curl, roll or ride over when you wear it.
This friction-free slip short also feels lightweight under clothing. The seamless fabric blends well over your skin and doesn’t offer any bulge. It allows you to wear tight-fitting dresses and skirts. The thin fabric located in the crotch area doesn’t irritate. If you want longer underwear than the Caramel Cantina Short Panties, this one is an excellent choice.
The only downside of this anti-chafing underwear includes the hemline. It marks when you wear it under leggings or skinny jeans.
- Made of nylon and spandex that keeps you dry from sweat
- Microfiber stretch that allows your skin to breath
- Lightweight that it doesn’t feel heavy under clothes and doesn’t limit your movements
- Seamless and thin fabric that isn’t obvious under dresses or skirts.
- Doesn’t go well with leggings or skinny jeans because the hemline marks
- The length is too long for shorts
- 2-pack includes (1) Black and (1) Nude
- Smooth coverage under clothes
- Breathable- Mid-length-Smooth Coverage
Best Anti Chafing Underwear for the Money: Under Armour Thong Underwear
The next underwear to prevent chafing on our list is the Under Armour Thong Underwear. This underwear consists of 68 percent nylon and 32 percent spandex. Compared to the Jockey Ladies Slip Short, it has less nylon material. However; the spandex is more than half of the previously reviewed underwear. This material has a moisture-wicking property that keeps you dry and clean to prevent chafing.
One thing to highlight in this chafe-free thong is its ability to prevent odor through its anti-odor technology. The 4-way stretch construction of the underwear gives you more freedom in movement.
Out of all the underwear in this review, this friction-free panty is by far the best in terms of support for vigorous activities such as long-distance running.
The Under Armour Thong goes well with any clothes because of its laser-cut edges that offer hem-free visibility for a more flattering and smoother look.
What we don’t like about this underwear is the waistband. If not positioned well, it rides up and turns very tight around the waist. In that case, you can size up to prevent this kind of misfortune.
- Moisture-wicking materials that allow you to stay clean and dry
- 4-way stretch construction good for long-distance running
- Laser-cut edges that are invisible under clothing
- Anti-odor technology that prevents unpleasant smell
- The waistband rides up and gives a very tight feeling
- Becomes less comfortable if you decide to wear this underwear daily
- Updated alpha sizing!
- New super-soft stretch fabric delivers excellent all-day comfort for any activity
- Laser cut edges offer a hem-free construction for a smoother, more flattering silhouette
Best Cheap Underwear to Prevent Chafing: Reebok Seamless Hipster Panties
If you’re looking for something cheaper, take a look at this Reebok Seamless Hipster Panty. It comes with 92 percent nylon and 8 percent spandex. This combination makes the underwear moisture-wicking to keep you dry. The seamless design prevents friction on your skin. Moisture and friction are the factors causing chafing.
This underwear that prevents thigh and groin chafing also comes with breathable material that keeps you cool. The tagless construction doesn’t give any pinching or digging sensation to your skin.
It doesn’t slide down because the waist stays in place. It also comes in a wide range of sizes to ensure you get the right fit.
Just like the Under Armour Thong Underwear, you can use the Reebok Seamless Hipster for running. Its booty coverage is better than any other underwear models in this review. The booty coverage gives your butt a nice shape.
However, these anti-chafing hipster briefs may not be as seamless as they claim to be. It marks when you wear leggings or any tight-fitting pants on top. It may roll down if you have bumps in your waist.
- Moisture-wicking property to keep you dry
- Tagless construction prevents rubbing that causes friction — complements the moisture-wicking property to avoid chafing.
- Sticks well in your waists that you won’t worry it would ride up
- Booty coverage gives shape to your butt
- Not as seamless as it marks on your tight-fitted pants or leggings
- The waist may move down if you have bumps in the said area
- OFFICIAL REEBOK: Women's Hipster Underwear; Greatness doesn’t come from standing still, Living an...
- SEAMLESS: Built with a workout in mind, these hipster briefs are seamless and tag-free so you can...
- HIPSTER STYLE: Women's underwear with a logo waistband that sits on the hips and natural cut leg...
Best Plus-Size Underwear to Prevent Chafing: Caramel Cantina Short Panties
If you belong to the plus-size category, don’t worry. We got you. The best underwear to prevent chafing for plus-size women is the Caramel Cantina Plus-Size Panties.
Aside from the nylon and spandex material that keeps the moisture away, it’s very soft and stretchy to accommodate every movement you make. This plus-size anti-chafing short panty also comes as tagless and seamless that allows you to wear it under any clothing without friction and without being obvious.
This underwear has similarities with Fruit of the Loom Underwear as it also accommodates plus-size women, but the price is slightly higher. These two models also share the same material components with 92 percent nylon and eight percent spandex.
The only thing that made the Caramel Cantina Plus-Size Panty more expensive is the quantity per packaging. This set of friction-free short panties comes with six pieces, while the Fruit of the Loom Underwear comes with four pieces only.
The downside of this underwear is its fabric. It turns very thin once stretched. The other issue would be the leg part as it rides up sometimes. However, it doesn’t make a big deal because it’s unnoticeable.
- Moisture-wicking materials that don’t soak you with sweat
- Soft and stretchy that doesn’t restrict your movements
- A great choice for plus-size women
- Packaging comes with six pieces that give you many options
- Once the underwear stretches, the material gets very thin
- At some point, the part of the underwear in the thigh area rides up
- 6 Pack Plus Size Boyshort Hipster Panties | Hip Measurements: 1X=42-44"; 2X=44-46" ; 3X=46-48"
- Seamless Style Knitting (No Side Seams)
- Super Soft & Stretchy Fabric | Please note Fabric Contents are Different for Heathers & Tri-Blend...
Best Breathable Underwear to Prevent Chafing: Fruit of the Loom Underwear
If you’re looking for the best breathable underwear and at the same time preventing chafing, check out the Fruit of the Loom Underwear. This underwear combines moisture-wicking material of 92 percent nylon and eight percent spandex to help you stay dry from your sweat.
The lightweight microfiber and sleekness in nature make this underwear breathable. This comfortable underwear that doesn’t scratch the skin also offers a wide area of breathing space in your thighs.
As mentioned earlier, this underwear has many similarities to the Caramel Cantina Plus-Size Panties, such as the material components and the body type it can accommodate. This underwear suits body types with pear, oval, curvy, or hourglass figures.
Like most underwear in this review, the Fruit of the Loom is seamless and lightweight. It won’t restrict your movements. It also features a waistband that doesn’t roll, dig or bind.
If you don’t like high-waisted underwear, the Fruit of the Loom Underwear is not for you. This short-style chafe-free panty sits above your tummy area than average underwear does. If you have a skinnier body type, you may want to choose a smaller size because it might be too loose for your body type.
- Stretchy and microfiber material that makes the underwear breathable
- Wicks moisture that causes chafing
- Suits well for plus-size women
- Waistband that stays well in place and doesn’t roll
- High-waisted underwear that may not suit your taste
- Skinnier women need to size down to make sure they get the right fit
- Fit for Me Microfiber
- 4 Pack
- Slip Shorts
Features to Consider for Underwear to Prevent Chafing
You may have your own preference when it comes to choosing panties that avoid skin rubbing. However, if you want to avoid chafing, certain types of underwear are more effective than others. So, what features of underwear should we go after to prevent chafing?
Synthetic materials offer better properties than cotton-made underwear. For example, nylon and spandex materials provide moisture-wicking and anti-odor properties. Unlike cotton, they return to their natural shape after washing — which is ideal. All underwear in our review list features synthetic materials.
Avoid underwear made of cotton, especially if you want to do certain activities such as running. Since cotton has no moisture-wicking property, it will hold moisture, which is the number one cause of chafing.
If you want anti-chafing underwear for running, try the Under Armour Thong Underwear. It has the correct cut and combination of synthetic materials to protect yourself from having chafing down there.
Synthetic fabrics also feature anti-odor technology. Underwear with anti-odor technology such as the Under Armour Thong Underwear won’t make you feel uncomfortable. It prevents bacterial growth which can worsen the existing chafing.
On the other hand, since cotton absorbs moisture, it gives bacteria a breeding ground to grow. It’s one of the reasons why underwear with synthetic fabric is more recommended in this case.
Choose chafe-free panties with ventilation. It means choosing underwear that will keep your skin cool and dry. As mentioned earlier, pick underwear with synthetic fabrics. It allows the skin to breathe by allowing the air to circulate in the area.
The moisture-wicking feature keeps you dry from sweating. All underwear in our review comes with moisture-wicking features that will help your skin dry faster and clean.
Pick seamless anti-chafing undergarments. It means there’s no extra fabric at the edges that adds more thickness and causes bulks. The presence of seams at the edge of the underwear can rub your skin and cause irritation that leads to chafing. One perfect example of seamless underwear is the Jockey Ladies Slip Short.
Don’t worry because you won’t be sticking in one style — which you may find boring. Underwear to prevent chafing comes in different varieties depending on your preference.
Slip shorts are mostly worn under dresses, shorts, and skirts. This style restricts exposure as well as protects your inner thighs from rubbing each other. Slip shorts give compression as well as hide sweat stains. Jockey Ladies Slip Short and Fruit of the Loom Underwear are two examples of slip shorts underwear to prevent chafing.
Another style includes thongs. Thongs feature special cut-edges that give a smoother and flattering silhouette you can wear under any clothing.
The Under Armour Thing Underwear is an example on our list.
Boyshorts are another style of underwear that is a little bit shorter than slip shorts. In our list, Caramel Cantina Short Panties is an example of boyshorts.
Lastly, hipsters’ underwear is another type that is longer than thongs. The hipsters’ underwear comes with booty coverage. As an example, the Reebok Seamless Hipster Panties.
In choosing the best underwear to prevent chafing, it should come as firm. Firmness refers to a material that is body-hugging yet not too tight. In other words, choose something that isn’t too tight but isn’t too loose.
Both can lead to more chafing. Firmness means the material isn’t creating any gap between your skin. The Fruit of the Loom Underwear is a great example as it offers a smooth fit.
It is important to choose lightweight underwear to prevent chafing. Lightweight underwear doesn’t limit your movement. When your movement isn’t restricted, it doesn’t cause any friction to your skin.
Most underwear with microfiber material gives a lightweight feeling. In our review, the Jockey Ladies Slip Short makes one great example of lightweight underwear to prevent chafing.
Expert Tips: Preventing Chafing
Chafing can be inevitable sometimes. However, as much as possible, do the preventative measures. Take note of the following steps to reduce the chance of getting a chafe.
- Wear Proper Clothes: While doing a workout, wear right-fitting and fast-drying fabrics. Fast-drying fabrics include spandex, nylon, or polyester. For example, wear sports clothes when you exercise. Wear slip shorts or boyshorts to avoid getting chafe in the underwear area.
- Check Weather Update: If you want to do outdoor activities or exercise, either do it in the morning or the late evening. Avoid rigorous activities during noontime or the afternoon as these times are the hottest times of the day.
- Wash after Sweat: When your skin dries from sweat, bits of salt layers develop. It can cause friction. So make sure you wash if you know your sweat dried on your skin.
- Stay Dry: Any moisture left on the skin can cause chafing. But there are cases when it’s hard to stay dry especially when the weather is hot. The best thing you need to do is apply antiperspirants or powders in areas prone to chafing. Once your clothes absorb moisture and get soaked, change right away.
- Apply Bandage: You can apply a soft bandage in areas that most likely get chafe.
- Use Lubrication: Apply lubricants such as lotion, oil, or petroleum jelly in areas where your skin rubs against each other. For example, apply petroleum jelly to your inner thighs to lessen the friction that can lead to chafing.
In cases where you have chafing already, wash the area using a mild soap and gently pat to dry. The best thing to apply to the affected area is the aloe vera gel. It prevents infection and gives you a feeling of relief.
While the chafing is still there, apply lubricants such as petroleum jelly. It can prevent further friction that may worsen your chafe. To protect your existing chafing from further damage, wear clothes such as spandex or nylon shorts to cover the area while it is healing.
Frequently Asked questions
What Can I Put On My Inner Thighs to Prevent Chafing?
You can put petroleum jelly in your inner thighs to prevent chafing. You can also put chafing cream and balms like Body Glide. It can protect your inner thighs from friction caused by your clothing.
How Do I Stop My Thighs From Rubbing When I Walk?
To protect your inner thighs from rubbing when you walk, you can wear specific underwear with spandex material and with thigh length. You can try the Jockey Ladies Slip Short or Caramel Cantina Short Panties in our review list. These underwear choices feature a thigh-length cover to protect your inner thighs from rubbing.
The best underwear to prevent chafing should tick the boxes of what helps in keeping you dry and avoids friction. It should have the proper ventilation, made out of synthetic materials, firm, seamless, and fits your style. Say goodbye to chafing using the different types of underwear in this review.
|Jockey Ladies Slip Short||Under Armour Thong Underwear||Reebok Seamless Hipster Panties||Caramel Cantina Short Panties||Fruit of the Loom Underwear|
|Material||85% nylon, 12% spandex, 3% cotton||68% nylon, 32% elastane||92% nylon, 8% spandex||92% nylon, 8% spandex||92% nylon, 8% spandex|