As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wearing the wrong undergarments and shapewear brands can turn your wardrobe into a fashion disaster. To spark your confidence, I’m narrowing down options for the best shapewear for a bodycon dress for every body type, including the factors to consider to make sure you get the right fit.
- My Best Shapewear for a Bodycon Dress
- Best Shapewear for Bodycon Dresses Overall: SPANX Women’s Thinstincts Mid-Thigh Bodysuit
- Best Seamless Bodycon Shapewear: Wacoal Women’s Visual Effects Body Briefer
- Best Strapless Shapewear for Bodycon: SPANX Women’s Power Conceal-Her High-Waisted Mid-Thigh Short
- Best Postpartum Bodycon Shapewear: Nebility Women Latex Waist Trainer Bodysuit
- Best Bodycon Shapewear for Plus Size Women: ShaperX Fajas Colombianas Body shaper
- Features to Consider for the Best Shapewear for Bodycon Dress
- Related Questions
My Best Shapewear for a Bodycon Dress
Shapewear adds a flattering shape when wearing a bodycon dress. When it comes to overall support, fit, and comfort, the SPANX Thinstincts Mid-Thigh Bodysuit is the best shapewear for bodycon dress that will solve your bodycon fit issues. If you have other areas of concern, I also have more shapewear brands for you.
Best Shapewear for Bodycon Dresses Overall: SPANX Women’s Thinstincts Mid-Thigh Bodysuit
Suppose you’re struggling to retain a slim look when wearing bodycon dresses. In that case, the SPANX Women's Thinstincts Open-Bust Mid-Thigh Bodysuit is the best shapewear for bodycon dresses to accentuate your body in all the right places.
You can wear this shapewear to target the lower stomach by creating firm, hug-like support. Even if it doesn’t have a bra, you can utilize an adhesive bra for plunging necklines and backless dress.
If you have more bulk on your thighs than around the stomach, the bicycle shorts-like construction of this bodycon shapewear extends higher than the waistline, to help cinch and shape your abdomen, hips, butt, and thighs.
Another good thing is that the Thinstincts Bodysuit is the only shapewear that mainly uses microfiber. When worn, you won’t have to worry about the straps and underwear lines ruining the silhouette of your bodycon dress.
Furthermore, microfiber wicks moisture away from the skin, making the body cooler and more relaxed. With the inclusion of Spandex and nylon, this lightweight shapewear feels like you’re not wearing any additional clothing. Overall, this is a high-quality shapewear to wear under a bodycon dress.
- A bodycon dress is slim-fitting. Since this shapewear has an open bust, you can wear an adhesive bra instead, in contrast to Wacoal’s built-in bra.
- Smoothens and shapes the torso without squeezing everything too tight
- Ideal for those who need a different kind of bra
- Slimming panels for a more contoured silhouette under a bodycon
- It tends to make slight whooshing sounds due to friction
- Narrow shoulder straps that may leave marks
- Style Number: 10021R.
- Thinstincts is designed with targeted shaping support. SPANX engineered this fan-favorite style to...
- TUMMY CONTROL: Engineered shaping panel.
Best Seamless Bodycon Shapewear: Wacoal Women’s Visual Effects Body Briefer
While a bodycon dress can trace curves, it can’t support and shape the figure. This is why you need to wear seamless shapewear like the Wacoal Women's Visual Effects Body Briefer to shape and create smooth control over the torso, stomach, hips, waist, and thighs of any body type.
Unlike the bra-less SPANX Thinstincts Shapewear, the Wacoal Briefer has a built-in minimizer bra with molded cups that reduces the bust profile, which is perfect if you need to redistribute breast tissue for a more lifted look.
The thong style has less front and back coverage. When worn, this ensures you don’t end up flashing your underwear under short-length bodycon dresses.
The Wacoal shapewear also uses nylon and Spandex for a two-way stretch, which means the shapewear expands as you move, letting you move seamlessly under tight dresses.
- Since it has a one-piece construction, the clean edges remove bumps, creases, and unwanted underwear lines, letting you wear that cute bodycon at long last
- All-day comfort for tucking in fat and cellulite
- It doesn’t feel binding around the ribcage, waist, and hips
- It has a built-in minimizer bra
- It has an underwire yet lacks padding
- The cups may not fit well on ladies with small sizes
- The body is a two way stretch shaping fabric
- Convenience cotton crotch
- Stretch straps with back strap adjustment
Best Strapless Shapewear for Bodycon: SPANX Women’s Power Conceal-Her High-Waisted Mid-Thigh Short
Bodycon strapless dresses can be unflattering on some body parts. If you want to achieve a smoother tummy with a more defined waistline, the SPANX Power Conceal High-Waisted Mid-Thigh Short offers excellent support while also providing a backside lift for a perkier rearview.
Compared to the other best shapewear choices, the high-waist design cinches the waist and stomach together. This is helpful when you want to boost flat buttocks or slim down extra bulk underneath tight dresses.
Unlike the first two shapewear pieces, the Power Conceal High-Waisted Shapewear uses a double-layer compression fabric. The first layer focuses on shaping, whereas the second works more on concealing. In effect, the shapewear won’t show up under your tight dress.
Thus, this is the right shapewear to wear if you prefer longer protection to shape the lower part of the torso. Furthermore, its bra-less shorts style makes the shapewear a versatile undergarment for other pieces of clothing.
- Even if it focuses on thigh-to-torso transition, the combination of nylon and elastane makes the fabric feel like a second skin and gives you a seamless silhouette
- Complete front and rear side support
- Slimming effect without non-binding feel on the skin
- Lightweight and thin material for a virtually invisible lining
- Leg hem might roll up
- The length may not be ideal for short bodycon dresses
- Lightweight ~ High-Waist ~ Shaping Short ~ Mid-Thigh Length ~ Machine Wash Hang to Dry
- Double Layer Fabrication ~ First Layer Shapes ~ Second Layer Conceals Lumps and Bumps
- 72% nylon 28% elastane
Best Postpartum Bodycon Shapewear: Nebility Women Latex Waist Trainer Bodysuit
Giving birth changes the body, and you may need extra support from shapewear to shape your figure if you want to wear bodycon dresses. The Nebility Latex Waist Trainer can help ladies rebuild a strong core and maintain good posture while ensuring the bodycon or strapless dress hugs the curves.
Similar to the ShaperX Body shaper, this shapewear uses a zipper closure to anchor the bodysuit to the tummy. As a result, you have firm control over shaping your apple figure, accentuating the natural curves.
In contrast to the microfiber and cotton components of the other shapewear, the Nebility Waist Trainer mainly consists of latex. This smooth yet firm fabric gives a light touch to the skin, which means it doesn’t even seem like you’re wearing shapewear underneath a dress.
Despite not having a built-in bra, the high-waist design can be quite long for ladies shorter than five feet. However, this still makes the shapewear good to wear with tight-fitting dresses with a plunging neckline.
- It boasts a three-layer slimming midsection that holds your stomach in while reducing the waistline. Even when you’re wearing bodycon on a hot summer day, your skin remains sweat-free and comfortable
- Features a no-droop design to hoist the bust while controlling side fat
- Compressive design reduces swelling and tightens skin to aid in postpartum recovery
- Full-butt stitching tightens and lifts the buttocks instantly
- Opening for the crotch may be too small for some ladies
- Shoulder straps may be too thin for those with heavy breasts
- [3 Layers Firm Control Midsection] The waist trainer core layer is made of 100% latex to give a...
- [U-Shape Push Up Breast Design] With the U-type, no-droop, open bust design, this bodysuit can give...
- [Tummy Control and Adjustable Straps] The shapewear is designed with 3 separate hooks and eye...
Best Bodycon Shapewear for Plus Size Women: ShaperX Fajas Colombianas Body shaper
Wearing shapewear for bodycon dress can be challenging when you worry about tummy rolls and bulging side fats because of the tight fit. The ShaperX Fajas Colombianas Body shaper tucks in fats and smoothens the torso regardless of the body shape.
The shapewear for bodycon dress comprises mesh lining, which makes it breathable and stretchy. This makes this body shaper the perfect shapewear for a mini dress, even if most of your weight is in the midsection.
Some plus-size women tend to have bell-shaped or saggy breasts, so shapewear with a built-in bra may not be the best option in this situation. In contrast to the Nebility Bodysuit, the ShaperX Body shaper has an open bust design that lets you wear the appropriate bra for your breast shape and size.
However, this body shaper isn’t as seamless as the other shapewear because of the lace details.
- Despite not having bra padding or cut-outs, it has a butt-lifting feature coming from the cheeky boyshorts style
- Cinches the upper and lower abdomen for a more contoured fit
- Guarantees you can breathe and sit even when you hook every clasp
- Pushes breast up to have an accentuated bust
- The zipper and lace may slightly bulk through clothes
- It may fit longer for those with a shorter torso
- LOOK SLIMMER & CHARMING: Fajas Colombian bodysuit shapewear is design to specially shape the...
- FIRM CONTROL & COMPRESSION: Fajas bodysuit trim waist, compress belly and lift the butt, and Outer...
- NON-SLIP SHOULDER STRAP: This faja bodysuit Straps are fully adjustable and non-slip designed. The...
Features to Consider for the Best Shapewear for Bodycon Dress
Choosing the best shapewear for bodycon dress isn’t just about your body shape. It’s important that you consider features such as the smoothing effect, fit, type, breathability, and support. These can give you the best shapewear for bodycon dress that will go hand-in-hand with your bodycon dress.
Comparing Shapewear for Bodycon Dresses Features
|Bodycon||Style||Body Propotion Support||Open Bust?|
|SPANX Thinstincts||Bodysuit||Full body||Yes|
|Wacoal Visual Effects||Body briefer||Torso||No|
|SPANX Power Conceal||High-waist shorts||Bottoms||Yes|
It’s a misconception that the best shapewear for bodycon dresses needs to squeeze the body tightly to create a slimmer shape for tight dresses. However, the best shapewear will neatly tuck in tummy fats to form a slimmer silhouette. While the best shapewear for bodycon dresses can hide some pounds and give you tummy control, it does more smoothing and less sucking or squeezing.
While you can wear the best shapewear for bodycon dresses under any clothing, it’s essential that you stick to your actual size.
If you wear one size down, the shapewear may only make your shape appear bigger because it can create extra bulges. Like when choosing other types of undergarments, make sure to consider your hip and waist measurements to get the right shapewear.
Regardless of the style, wearing the best shapewear for bodycon dresses gives some form of foundation to help figure-hugging dresses drape over the body properly, letting you carry the outfit perfectly. However, considering the shapewear type is still ideal as they also have varying benefits.
- Open Bust: This type of shapewear enables you to choose your own bra. Like the SPANX Thinstincts Bodysuit, this is suitable when the tight dress doesn’t require a bra or you need a specific kind of bra.
- Body Briefer: Wear this shapewear if you prefer a one-piece structure, as seen in the Wacoal Briefer. It targets and shapes from the hip to the bust. This is more appropriate if you want a shaper and a bra.
- High-Waist: A high-waist shapewear design is a better option if you need more support in the midsection area, as it covers the thighs and smooths up to the torso. Like the SPANX Power Conceal Short, this style efficiently cuts down the waistline, acts as a waist trainer, and gives firm control.
Even with a built-in bra, the best shapewear for bodycon dresses must allow you to breathe normally. While the fit is crucial when wearing shapewear underneath dresses, having breathable fabric is another aspect you need to consider.
Only the Thinstincts Bodysuit contains microfiber, which has finer properties that make the shapewear nearly invisible under a bodycon dress. Meanwhile, you can wear the Wacoal Briefer if you prefer a crotch lining to enhance ventilation and prevent bacterial infection.
Body Proportion Support
Some ladies avoid wearing bodycon dresses because they feel like they don’t have the right shape proportions or body size to carry off this type of clothing. The perfect shapewear must have extra support that translates into a countering effect for different proportions.
- Full body: When worn, top-heavy ladies will benefit the most from this shapewear style as the bust lets you choose the right bra. For women with hourglass shape, your shoulders and hips would be the same width as your waistline. The solution is to create a sleeker, holistic sleeker physique using a bodysuit like the Thinstincts shapewear.
- Torso: For women with apple-shaped bodies, this means having more volume in the hips than the rest of the upper body. If you feel more self-conscious about extra fat in the back, belly, or waist, you’re better off with shapewear like the Wacoal Briefer, which provides firm control in these areas.
- Bottom: If you’re rocking a well-defined waistline, full hips, and round bottoms, high-waist shapewear can help flatten the tummy, shape the hips, and make your thighs firmer. As evident in the SPANX High-Waisted Short, you can create a smooth transition from your upper thighs through the buttocks and up to the waist and abdomen.
What Do You Wear Under a Bodycon Dress?
Aside from shapewear, you should also wear a well-fitting bra and underwear. When worn, these shapewear undergarments can help sculpt your tummy for a flawless silhouette, even when you want to pair the dress with formal pants or a blazer.
How Do I Look Thinner in Bodycon Dresses?
You can use shapewear such as the SPANX Thinstincts Bodysuit that’s similar to a waist cincher to make yourself appear thinner in bodycon dresses. Whether you style a bodycon casually or formally, using a shapewear as a waist cincher can also help make you look slimmer.
How Can I Make My Bodycon Dress Fit Better?
Use shapewear to make your bodycon dress fit better on your body. It’s also essential that you know how to style your bodycon and wear the right bra to shape and emphasize your curves.
The best shapewear for a bodycon dress can provide extra support and a smoothing effect without hampering comfort. With any of the shapewear mentioned above, you can enhance your already-stunning figure and flaunt your bodycon dress on any occasion.